Music Ministry Director
College Street Church is an open and affirming, musically and artistically rich, social justice oriented, and growing church of all ages. Our worship combines traditional forms with authentic and informal expression of those forms. We are proud of our historic church building and its wonderful acoustics. We have an experienced choir, accustomed to presenting a wide-ranging repertoire, from Renaissance to modern. Our organ is from Austin Organs (Opus 2291), built in 1958 with 1,613 pipes (OHS Database ID 12556).
This posting is for a Music Ministry Director that is also an accompanist, but this job could be split into two positions: a Music Ministry Director and separate Accompanist.
- Provide musical leadership for Sunday services (10:00 am)
- In collaboration with worship leadership, select and prepare preludes, anthems, offertories, and postludes that contribute to the worship experience and are appropriate to the particular service
- Accompany congregational hymns and responses on organ and piano
- Arrange for special music when choir is not scheduled
- Coordinate with and support soloists, small ensembles, and instrumentalists
- Direct Adult Choir (all volunteer), September – June
- Thursday Rehearsal 7:30 to 9:00 pm
- Optional sectional rehearsals as required (usually 7:00-7:30)
- Sunday Rehearsal 9:00 am, prior to 10 am service
- Recruit participants for choirs
- Manage music budget and library
- Prepare appropriate music for all services including holidays and special occasions, working with pastor and Board of Deacons as needed
- Provide musical accompaniment for funerals (and weddings, if desired) for additional stipend
- Communicate with pastor, church secretary, other staff, and lay leadership as needed
- Attend regular staff meetings
- Provide all necessary music information for the worship bulletin to the administrator
- Communicate music program events, goals, and happenings to the congregation at large
- Oversee our lay-led youth choir and handbell choir
- Proficiency in directing choir
- Excellent musicianship on organ and piano
- Knowledge of sacred music and the liturgical year
- Kindness and even temperament
- Passion for a ministry of sacred music
- Flexibility in working with people with a wide range of ability and perspectives
- Organizational and administrative skills
Relevant bachelor’s degree and experience as a professional choir director and/or church musician preferred
Estimated 18-25 hours per week. This is an exempt position.
Compensation is commensurate with job responsibilities and relevant experience and includes benefits such as health care stipend, pension stipend, holidays, and vacation.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com.